Monday, August 23, 2010

Llanymynech Rocks - Walk With Fred & Reggie

Llanymynech Rock walk took us through a very unusual setting. Walking past a spectacular rock face, heading down a tramlines & through little tunnels. Past a magnificent lime kiln out into the open countryside, then a stroll along the canal. In all 2 1/2 miles up / down hills surrounded in history.
The rock face - is impressive, and provides a nesting site for swifts, jackdaws and even peregrine falcons. Fallen stones frequently display fossils, but it is not a good idea to venture near the cliffs to search for them. Orchids some rare are the reserve`s special treasure`s, but there are plenty of wild flowers here.

The story of the limestone is clearly told on display boards. Lime was used as an agricultural fertiliser and also for building work - it was much in demand by nearby industrial Coalbrookdale. The Hoffman kiln was built rather late in the day (1899) making use of sidings from the Cambrain Railway to deliver coal. Sadly at this time Portland cement was taking over the role of lime mortar in the construction industry and the kiln closed in 1914.

The canal on this walk was originally known as the Llanymynech branch of the Ellesmere canal. Later extended south, the transportation of lime was its prime purpose. Originally profitable, the canal failed during the First World War, and after a major breach occurred in 1936 it was abandoned. Today as the Mongomery Canal, it is gradually being restored to accommodate leisure boater.

No comments: